Niles (Nathaniel2 , John1 )
3, 1682/3 at Block Island (New Shoreham).1
Died: March 3, 1753 at Stonington, New London Co., CT.1
Married(1): Abigail Hazard.1
Married(2): Elizabeth [TUCKER] ca. 1726
Children of Ebenezer Niles and Abigail Hazard are3:
- Ebenezer, born March 4, 1709/10;
married Sarah Kenyon 1730.
- Abigail, married Joseph Hollaway (sometimes spelled Holly or
Holoway) November 30, 17464
at S. Kingstown RI; deceased by 1753 when her father wrote his
- Sarah, born ca. 1714; married Simeon Palmer March 25, 1741/2
at S. Kingstown RI.
- Penelope, married James Buckminister January 4, 1747 at S. Kingstown
Children of Ebenezer Niles and Elizabeth are3:
- Sands, born S. Kingstown RI April 19, 1727; married (1) Elizabeth
Cottrell September 4, 1745 at Westerly RI, (2) Batsheba Palmer
April 18, 1779 at Stonington CT.
- Mary, born ca. 1728 at probably S. Kingstown RI; married (1)
Nathaniel Cottrell March 3, 1744/5 at Westerly RI; married (2)
John Bentley December 21, 1749 at Richmond RI.
- Stephen, born ca. 1730; died Alburgh VT in Dec 1810; married
Desire Pendleton January 9, 1755 at Westerly RI.
- Nathaniel, born Stonington CT, August 18, 1735; died Berlin,
Rensselaer Co., NY September 16, 1825; married Abigail Bentley
September 21, 1755 at N. Stonington CT.
- Tabitha, born after 1735; married Nathan Davis, of Westerly,
RI, March 3, 1757.
- Phebe, born after 1735; married Joseph Cole, of Hopkintown,
RI, August 30, 1760.
- David, killed in Battle of White Plains NY, October 28, 1776;
married Sarah Frink ca. 1761.
- Sarah, born about 1735, mentioned in father's will as being in an unmarried state in 1753.
Ebenezer married a second time. Elizabeth (Tucker) Nash, as noted
in his will.2
Ebenezer inherited his father's mansion and a 200 acre farm in
South Kingstown, R.I.
Ebenezer's will dated Stonington, Conn., March 3, 1752, was proved
April 1, 1753.2
Taken from the New England Historical Genealogical Register, Volume
85, April 1931, page151:
Ebenezer Niles, was born at New Shoreham,
R.I., 3 Jan. 1683. He married first Abigail Hazard, born 19 Mar.
1690, died in 1742, daughter of George and Penelope (Allen) Hazard
and granddaughter of Gov. Benedict Arnold of Rhode Island; and
secondly Elizabeth (____).
His will, dated
at Stonington, Conn., 3 Mar. 1752, was proved 1 Apr. 1753. (Probate
Records, New London, Conn., book F, p. 377).
1 John Osborne Austin,
Genealogical Dictionary of Rhode Island (reprint, 1969), p. 139-40.
2 Probate records, N. London,
Bk. F, p. 377.
3 According to Allen D.
Niles the first four children are from Abigail.
4 Dr. Joseph Torrey and
His Record Book of Marriages, So. Kingstown, RI as reported by Allen